Workshops and more
July 2020 workshop
This year's workshop in York will be on Friday 10th July 2020.
- Further information and a booking form will be available soon.
Accents, Attitudes and Identity: An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
Topics covered in this free four week online course for both students and teachers:
- Introduction to the study of language attitudes
- How do you measure attitudes?
- What is the relationship between language and identity?
- Why language attitudes matter
For more information and the registration link visit york.ac.uk/moocs.
The next run of our free online 4 week short course (MOOC) starts 13th July 2020.
- Speakers included: Carmen Llamas, Kobin Kendrick and Ellie Rye (York), Dan Clayton (EngLangBlog) and special guest (and former York PhD ) Catherine Laing (University of Cardiff).
- Topics included: Conversation Analysis, a new test for measuring language attitudes, the Scandinavian roots of English place-names, and onomatopoeia in child-directed speech.
Dan Clayton (of EngLangBlog) attended our 2015 workshop on behalf of the AQA, to provide guidance for use of the workshop materials in teaching for the AQA specification.
Dan's slides are available here to view (© AQA) and they include the case studies on:
Also covered here and coming to this website soon:
- the media and Jafaican